Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Book Store

Lately I have been reminded that life (or more, how we react to it) is very much like walking through a library or a book store.

We spend lots of time just skimming what we see and not really taking the time to see what's inside. Yet when something is flashy, bright, or different, we take notice. But yet many times we still don't take a close enough look to see what is really there. "Judging a Book by it's Cover."

There is a specific instance that comes to mind that happened about a year ago. I was at a charity function with my wife when I noticed this young man over on the side of the room, standing by himself. What made me notice him was not his looks but his sound. He was making noises. Verbal beeps, barks, yips and so on about every 5-10 seconds. These sound bites were not quite by any means, in fact they were quite loud. I remember thinking to myself; What's this guys issue? He's being disruptive, people in the room are looking at him with scowls? If he can't help it then he needs to leave the room.

Soon this young man starts running around the room and gets up on stage and begins to speak at the event, (Yes he was supposed to) and no one seemed supirsed. I kept these thoughts to myself and later asked my wife about him, she told me that he was a great guy, did a lot for the charity organization that we were at and that he had Tourette's Syndrome. The barking and chirping was not to be helped.

See, I judged this young man as having a real disability and began to feel sorry for him. I did not know how wrong I was.

You will hear me say now and in the future that God works in "Mysterious but not Encrypted" ways. This one of those.

On Sunday Dec 7th CBS aired a made for TV movie call "Front of the Class". It is a story of a young man with Tourette's that would not take no for an answer and saw is condition as a tool to educate. The movie was based off the autobiography of a man who would not let his condition bring him down. In fact, he became one of the best school teachers in the state of Georgia!!!

The young man that I had felt so sorry for and "Judged" was Brad Cohen. The man that wrote the book and the man that "Front of the Class" was about.

This judging happened to Jesus many times. Matthew 9: 10-13 tells it all. The Pharisees saw Jesus eating with tax collectors and sinners and asked Why? Jesus answered by saying that these are the people that need Me, that's why? He was Judged by what He looked like, He claimed to be the King of the Jews yet He looked like nothing more than a Sheppard, and many never accepted who He was.

Prayer:

Lord help me to see through the surface. Help me to take the time to get to know what is on the inside. I have been VERY guilty in the past of just, jumping to conclusions and not getting all of the facts. After finding You in my heart I have been able to open up more, but not completely. Lord I ask that You help not only me but all of us to accept with out intent. I also pray that You give me and others like me the power to help other to stop judging You by what they see on the outside and truly see You for who You are.

In your Glorious Name I Pray,

Amen.

No comments: